Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nicole focuses on B'lore lakes


Miss Earth 2010 Nicole Faria has picked a unique cause to highlight: Bangalore's woeful water situation. Of particular interest to her is the state of the city's lakes.

Arriving home after her triumphant journey to Vietnam where she won the Miss Earth 2010 title, a visibly delighted Nicole said, "In Bangalore, the way we waste water is ridiculous. I'm starting off here by supporting the Bangalore lake-cleaning cause and will also be the face for it. I feel responsible to do my part for this cause. I'll be visiting schools, colleges and spreading the message of saving water."

Water conservation, incidentally, was the theme of the pageant at Vietnam.

Nicole said, "I plan to spread that message in my city as well. I'm excited to start at home and am happy I have this opportunity. It's the most ideal,'' she said. She is also going to promote the reintroduction of cycle-rickshaws in the city and also the use of bicycles, added her father, Ian Faria.

The wait for her arrival was a long one. "I'm excited to meet her after a long time. This is a huge moment for me. She's going to spend time with family and friends for more than a week before she heads to Philippines," Ian said.

The Bangalore beauty, clad in a shimmering black dress, arrived at the Bengaluru International Airport along with her mother, Anita Faria, from Hyderabad at 1.15pm.

"I'm happy and ecstatic to be back home after a long time," said the beauty queen. About her plans for her stay, she said, "I'm going to spend my time with family and friends. There is going to be a grand celebration with all the family members coming together after a long time. This Christmas is going to be bigger than the others I've had, with many gifts and fun. I can't wait to go out, meet friends, eat idlis and dosas."

Not only is she the glam girl of Bangalore, she is also being a responsible one. "My future, as I see, will be a bright one, but with the crown comes great responsibility. I can't wait to start my journey around the world and I'm also getting a lot of support," she added.

On the Vietnam pageant, she said, "Vietnam was amazing. It was a lot like India — the places, the people, the shops, everything. I loved Nathrang the most. It was beautiful. There were a lot of tree-planting sessions. I have a tree with my name there. We visited many schools, NGOs and educated people.''

NEW YEAR RESOLUTION

The Namma Bengaluru hudugi is staying home to celebrate New Year. Asked for her resolution, she said: "To do better than I did yesterday or any other day and everyday of my life. I am my own competition and I beat myself every day to do better."

The feeling of exhilaration still exists in the Faria family about her winning the crown. "I could do all of this only because of my parents, my brother, who motivated me and pushed me to the top. They came to Vietnam for my pageant, my aunt also flew down from the US. I'm grateful to Mark Robinson who has been really supportive," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment